social icons graphic

Who Should I See

Who Should I See

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he was saying that he was having some issues in his life that he would like to work on. He said “You’re a therapist, who should I see?” I thought about that, at first it seemed such an obvious question but then I thought most people who have not been exposed to therapy would have no idea as to who might be able to help them. On that note, I thought I would write a few lines which might help people to make a reasonably informed choice.

A hypnotherapist is a person who uses hypnosis as a vehicle for therapy. Now there are a plethora of approaches a person can use as well as there being a great divide on the level that a person is trained. A fairly good marker for a properly trained hypnotherapist would be that the person holds either an HPD (Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma) or a CHP(NC) or DHP(NC) (a Certificate or Diploma in Hypno-Psychotherapy from the National College of Hypnosis and Psychotherapy). These professionals should be able to help with issues relating to stress, anxiety and behavioural modification.

A psychotherapist, as defined by the UK Council for Psychotherapy, is a practitioner who has undertaken a minimum of 1800 hours of masters degree level work. Within this would include training in psychopathology, human development and sexuality, diversities, research methods in the social sciences and ethics. There are currently 11 UKCP Colleges which are:

A counsellor is a practitioner who gives counsel, especially on personal problems. According to the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, these practitioners generally have completed and passed a one year full time or two year part time counselling/ psychotherapy course that contained an integral placement of a minimum of 100 client hours.

Finally, a psychologist is a person who who studies the human mind and human emotions and behaviour, and how different situations have an effect on people. There are many kinds of psychologist, the ones who would most likely work with the client group of the above professionals are Clinical Psychologists, Educational Psychologists and Counselling Psychologists.

I hope this proves a help on your therapeutic journey.

Recent Posts